Friday 26 April 2013

A Friend for the Journey


I must admit I feel good about the doctor team’s visit. Today’s visit was also attended by a second team of medical students. I agreed to be a test case for examination, so the Professor used me to test his student who had to take an exam on Monday. Her fingers were cold and her examination was fleeting. I told the Professor what I thought about his student. 

“I don’t think she heard my lungs because the stethoscope was hardly pressed onto my back!” I helped out in the practical training so that no patient will need to suffer later from wrongly examine by a new doctor! 


It is official. On Monday, I would be transferred to the GI ward. I secretly wished that the nurses in the ward will be friendlier.


A new ward mate came. An Indian lady in the thirties. She was here for a biopsy. She was a bit scared, so she cheered herself up by talking to me. I told her my experiences.  


She thanked me, “Like you, suddenly I became sick….. no one has told me what to do to prepare myself. If only someone put some of these tips down, then people like us can read first and prepare well ahead to cope!”



Laughter is the best medicine.
The idea of a blog came to me as I talked more and more to her. I would love to help out with tips and checklists!

Time went by fast with the two of us talking about our fears, aspirations and our dreams. When you are a patient, you don’t laugh at another patient’s dream even though you think it is quite crazy. Her dreams are unusual but I believed in her. 






It makes a big difference when you have a roommate who tells you stories of her life and makes you laugh. I will miss her as she will be discharged tomorrow after the biopsy. She doesn’t want to stay one more day as she wants to pray for her health in the temple.


Even the dinner with a big chunk of overcooked chicken sitting in a sort of spicy soup, and two boiled vegetables, tasted ok tonight because of her.

By Ching Ching

No comments:

Post a Comment