Sunday 28 April 2013

A Long Weekend


I now learnt that if I wanted to make sure I am tended the right way, Fridays are very important. Whichever trainee doctor assigned to me must give instructions from letting me walk to reduce swelling, draining my ascites tube by flushing, and giving me a sleeping pill because of insomnia. If the doctor doesn’t write these instructions down, no one will follow. And I will have to wait till Monday.  And I must make sure this is done before five o’clock when the doctors leave.

I am surprised that weekend consultants don’t read up medical needs of patients in the files but the instructions must come from the week day doctors specifically.



Blood drawing, something I don't like.
It can be very painful if done roughly.
 The doctors in the weekdays had specific instructions for the nurses. I After withdrawal of 5 litres or more of peritoneal fluid within five hours, I am at risk of post-paracentesis circulatory dysfunction (PPCD), I must be given at least two hours of ‘rest’ by having the tube clipped off to stop the draining.

I drained more than this today but the nurse refused to clip it off because there was no instruction to her to do so. No matter how much I explained, she still wouldn’t listen to me. So I studied the tubes and secretly turn the clip.


I thought about Pong. If I have so much problem in the ward, how about her? No wonder she tells me to ‘Just don’t think about all the negative things that happen to you. Keep looking at the positive, keep thinking about the positive, keep dreaming about the positive.”


I thought about Pong
Pong had problems at KLGH (KL General Hospital), they took her blood tests and lost the results. Her veins had collapsed and they had to take blood from her thighs, and one time, from her neck.  She showed me the bruises and I was shocked to see the big black patches. 






My brother’s family came from JB to see me. They made Buddhist prayers and gave me a bottle of blessed water by a powerful monk. “Are you all coming next weekend?” I was anxious to know. The hospitalization has changed every one. They are now more concerned about me and not taking me for granted. I am now eager to include them in my new life.  I told them I envisioned the whole family staying in KL together so we can help each other. “Look at the other branch of our extended Lai family, they are all here and when the grandmother is sick, there are many people to support her. We should do the same. Look at my daughter she has to do many things by herself. If you guys are here, she will be less stressed. ”

Just before dinner, Sushila, my Hindu neighbor, came with her husband. She brought no salt homemade tosai with coconut chutney and tomato chutney. I took big bites of the tosai, it tasted so good! Sushila’s husband told me he would pray for me at his temple and during his daily prayers> He has become religious and is a vegetarian now.


twouen yuen in Chinese writing
I told them what Ah Ba said in my dream. “Be together. You are one. IF the circle breaks apart, it must come back. Always ‘twouen yuen ( tightly knit together in a circle)’. I reminded them that Ah Ba went away on Wesak day morning, he is a powerful soul. He is telling us that all of us are destined to be together, so we must try to give the best in each other’s life.
Strangely, I envision that I will be able to get my sister a better less stressful job. And my brother to be a new person, less stressed from all the commuting and money talks in Singapore. And the nephew who is not doing well in university to turn around a new leaf.

That night, I also envision all good things come though the universe for me. Friends, laughters, funds for eHomemakers, a very strong and committed team, and many corporate and strategic partners.  And for the first time, I feel determined to prove to those who have called me ‘a failure’ that they are wrong.

I couldn’t sleep. So I jotted down some work strategy for eHomemakers. My mind was working hard because I was worried about eHomemakers.

By Ching Ching

No comments:

Post a Comment