Wednesday 17 April 2013

Learning to Survive


In order to survive in this ward, I think I need to learn who my friends are and who are not. Doctors are friends, not all the nurses are friends and I have to beware. So I should try my best to avail myself for the doctors to draw my blood, instead. And they are gentle– because they are more gentle than most of the nurses

The diet is correct today.

Sara said to me, ”If they do this to us, there must be other patients who get the wrong food too. Then we have to take more medication because we are given the wrong food.”  She asked me to help make sure she doesn’t get the wrong food because she doesn’t have so much money for hospitalization. She wants to get out of the hospital as soon as she can.


Patients sit up or laydown while 
the chemo drugs are injected intravenously.
Most of the patients are on chemotherapy for various gynae related cancers. As I walk down the corridor to take a break from sitting on the bed, I see empty eyes, sad eyes, very very tired eyes, and eyes that scream “I am in pain!”  

Most patients have family members who stay all day especially at night to take care of them. I asked one of them why she takes three months’ no pay leave to care for her sister. 

“If you are not here, the nurses don’t take care of the patient. I’ve seen with my own eyes how my sister suffers. ‘They’ are king here. If they don’t like you, you are in trouble! Even if they treat you their normal way, you see what they do sometimes? You want your diaper change and you wait for several hours sitting in your big thing!  How to get well fast? ’ She threw a glance at the nurses, “ We want her to get well as soon as possible so three months from me and another three months from another sister, we will finish her chemo time with her.”


Close-up of an infusion bottle
 “Don’t you think they treat patients with family members around in a better way because they don’t want outsiders to see? When we are patients, we can’t complain without evidence.”

She nodded. “Your family is not here except sometimes I see your mother. So you better behave yourself and shut your mouth,” she warned.

“That is why my daughter comes as soon as she finishes work and stays till 11 pm and takes care of me all weekend.” Sara told me.

What a sad learning.

By Ching Ching

No comments:

Post a Comment