Sunday 19 May 2013

How Can They?


It appalled me that I have been given the wrong kind of diet again on weekends. The food delivery guy told me he was new and he didn’t know anything, so I had to wait till Monday to correct the mistakes. Instead of high protein low salt I have normal meals. I had to check with the rest of my seven ward mates to see who had my high protein low salt. It was difficult to really determine without tasting every one’s foods. So I had to settle with normal protein and normal salt!



 Excessive salt retains water in my body



I am only allowed 40 gm of salt per day.
It is only about a small spoonful and a half .

The ward was full of visitors, and the toilet was awfully dirty, I had to hold my nose to go in. The shoe prints were sickening. I had to wash the prints off with my bare hands. How can patients not get infections from the hospital?  If the hospital management calculate the amount it spends on antibiotics, the management should be able to see how much the hospital can save by just making sure the cleaning contractor do a good job.

And how can two contractors with multimillion dollar contracts from the government continue the contracts by doing such lousy jobs?

Since no patients dare to write a formal letter to complain, the mistakes and the sting continue. Unabated.

I told the medical consultant for the weekend about the two woes. He said, “What can doctors do? We are powerless!”

All over the world, people want transparency, accountability to public money. Why can’t we have this in Malaysia?

By Ching Ching

No comments:

Post a Comment