Wednesday 22 May 2013

Learning to be Humourous


“We are prescribing you steroid,” a doctor told me. “We will start with eight pills, then gradually reduces the number of pills. But you must remember to take them daily.”

The medication nurse will give me my pills in the ward, it is when I am home that I must remember.

Grilled chicken on a stick!
I am beginning to feel better. 

“Be careful of your ayam panggang ( grilled chicken on a stick)”.  I told the nurses when they rolled me over to wipe my body.” They laughed. 

“I used to be very beautiful,” I told the trainee nurse who came to take my blood pressures. “I don’t know what has happened!” She too laughed.

When the doctor’s team rolled me over to check, I said to them, ”I feel like a leg of lamb, ready to be grilled any time by you guys? So may I have some mint sauce please?” I heard a few chuckles.

A doctor tapped my big belly to listen to the sound of water. “Do you hear a whale or a dorphin?” I asked. He humoured me back, “You sure have whales and dorphins inside that big belly of yours.  People pay a lot to see whales and dorphins. Do you still want us to get rid of them?”

When a doctor was trapping my belly to decide on where to open a new surgery hole to drain the fluid, I asked him if he needed a GPS to find out the best spot on the tummy.

I am learning to crack jokes in three languages, it gets my mind working.

Also, I am learning medical terms so that I can crack jokes on myself.

Because I‘ve become more cheerful, other people seem to have become more cheerful towards me.

A neighbor came to visit me and asked me if I was satisfied with the hospital. I am with the doctors, I have no complains, and I will not be going to a private hospital again. I like doctors who care instead of thinking about how much more money and how quick they can make the money from a patient.

I guess I will stay with the medical teams till I am fully recovered.

By Ching Ching

No comments:

Post a Comment