Thursday 16 May 2013

The Medical Angels


I am beginning to look forward to 9 am or 10 am when the doctor’s teams come to check on me. Someone would tap on my tummy to listen to the sound, and my files are checked – from blood pressure to temperature. Sometimes they discuss for more than ten minutes if there are any blood analysis, or tests results. If they prescribe something new for me, someone will explain why and how the new treatment works. They even draw pictures for me to understand.

I now know the hierarchy of doctors. One trainee doctor will be assigned to me, and this is the one I have to make all the ‘complains’ to. If this trainee doctor doesn’t give instructions for weekends treatments, then I will find myself having clogged drain tubes for the ascites drain bag or being given medications I don’t need.  This trainee doctor reports to Dr P who is the lead doctor for my case. He, in turn, seeks advice from the other senior doctors in the GI ward.

I like Dr P, not only that he looks intelligent with his glasses, he is fashionable with his hair gels.

Pong is coming to University Hospital for the colon surgery. I must go see the urinary department and build a relationship with the medical team, find out who is the lead doctor and make sure Pong gets the best treatment she can from the hospital, and that no one, nurses or toilet cleaner, will ever treat her rudely again in a hospital.

She deserves the best.

After 26 years.

By Ching Ching

No comments:

Post a Comment