Friday 24 May 2013

Wesak Day


This Day is a day I don’t know if I should be sad or be happy. My father passed away last year at 8 am on Wesak Day. The monks told the family he is a high being as he left the world on Wesak Day and an hour before all the celebrations started in temples. On the other hand, I miss him- my mentor and an example of how life should be lived – with great forgiveness and all the love you can give.

A day to cleanse one's being and search for spiritual ascendance.

Let the lights shine onto you. Light the candles to take out the darkness.










My brother’s family drove from JB to a special Buddhist temple. They only came in for a few minutes to check on me, they wanted to prayer for me at the temple. My wish to have the whole family together, talking and eating, was dashed. Oh well!

 So I spent my Wesak Day reading a book……and being calm.

Lucy came to see me in the afternoon and brought me bananas. I told her about my reservations about the steroid medication,”My tummy is still big!”

“You have to trust that it will work, maybe it takes longer time. But have Faith. If God sends you here, he must know that it will work! Give it time!” She is forever so reassuring.

Lucy has become my live or die councilor.  All my woes and misgivings about being an ascites patient are resolved by her. All my doubts and questions about the hospital were answered and clarified by her. And all my inner thoughts about living and dying are shared with her. Only she understands because she has been a patient.

Thank God I have a councilor, a friend, and an undying flame with a strong hand to support me.

So for the rest of the day, I envisioned myself joining in the Wesak Day celebration,searching for inner peace and inner strength.

By Ching Ching

No comments:

Post a Comment